Wah Antilia!

Friday, October 29, 2010

Recently my imaginary shayar friend sent these lines to me:

Antilia
Ab main samjha Mumbai Sheher mein Antilia ka matlab,
Daulat-e-Reliance pe scarecrow bithha rakha hai!

(Now I know the importance of Antilia in Mumbai City.
It is a scarecrow to guard the fortunes of Reliance.)

This is so unfair. Guys, guys, guys, what is this fuss about Antilia? It is the most beautiful building I have seen in a long time. I am aghast at the negative press. Unlike the designers, decorators and other contractors, I have not signed any confidentiality agreement, so I can divulge this little secret. Mukesh Ambani’s new home Antilia is constructed according to my Vastu advice.

I hope his company, Reliance, undertakes a project to build a whole city across the harbor. This is how the city would look like. Isn't it damn futuristic?
Antilia City (Imaginary)
I am so proud of myself. This is a milestone in the history of The Grist Mill. People close to me—my daughter and my husband—who think that I waste my time doling out inconsequential advice, can now eat their words.

My blog is responsible for this gem of a building. I can see only one shortcoming, which I have tried to fix here. Ek kami thi Antilia mein, humne badi si phool-jhadoo lataka di! (There was just one thing lacking in Antilia; I have hung a reed broom thereon!)
Mukesh Ambani's Billion-Dollar Residence
(Digitally-Altered Image)
PS: The broom in the above picture is a special asymmetrical phool-jhadoo in accordance with the Vastu Shastra. Buy one to hang outside your home. It staves off bad luck and sweeps in all the positive energy of the Universe. Sold exclusively only at The Grist Mill Store.

Related links:
Latest* THE NEW YORK TIMES: This Luxurious House Is Not a Home (October 18, 2011)
THE NEW YORK TIMES: Soaring Above India’s Poverty, a 27-Story Home (October 28, 2010)
THE ECONOMIC TIMES: Mukesh Ambani ready to move into mansion in sky (October 13, 2010)
THE NEW YORK TIMES: Mukesh Ambani - Indian to the Core, and an Oligarch (June 15, 2008)
REDIFF.COM: Reliance didn't grow on permit raj: Anil Ambani (May 11, 2002)
Update: "The Grist Mill: Wah Antilia!" is featured as a top link on THE HUFFINGTON POST! You are invited to party at my home in Antilia City! Check this out: Antilla, World's Most Expensive Home,Valued At A Cool $1 Billion

14 comments:

  1. Great Personification...Indeed a scarecrow :) Only a Bhatakti AAtma would consider it a palatial place for consolation...Kudos to who dreamed of this venture...All those lost souls will now have a home in Mumbai since it ranks third among cities with suicide rate http://www.karmayog.org/educationnews/educationnews_12594.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a monument! And nice touches you made in those pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good additions for vaastu shastra---but it must be treat living in such a house

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wah Giribala...Is baar to tumne kamaal kar dalaa.

    I was chuckling so loud and that jhadoo was the kohinoor on the crown. May Mankind never heed your Vastu advice!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breaking news ...
    #########################
    President Obama is considering a visit to Antilia. Ostensibly to discuss business, but as local press and other reliable sources report, the purpose is to take a close look at the radical design; "awesome" in American parlance. Security around the president clouds the details of the visit, but certainly it was not on the list until recently. Spur-of-the-moment changes to presidential trips are uncommon. According to Mr Daruwallah, Jr., owner of Antilia has implemented their advice to appease certain planets, while Grist Mill claims their vaastu advice being behind this.

    Whatever it is, one thing is for sure. Aamchi Mumbai is getting a monument, which will possibly come up in the list of seven wonders of the post-modern world. Possibly, because buildings in India supposedly have different standards, as explained by Mr Kamaldi, president of IOA. Only time will tell.
    -Pustervik reporting for BBC(Better Broadcasting Corp)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Sangeeta: Lol at "Bhatakti Aatma."
    @Deb: Thanks :-)
    @BKC: Let's book a house each in Antilia city!
    @Purba: Looks like you won't buy a phool-jhadoo from me.
    @Pustervik: Great news! Keep us posted :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good take on Vastu shastras and good use of the jhadoo to ward off 'buri nazar'. I am still struggling to make out the exact design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @S.R.Ayyangar: Welcome! It can be a little inexact too, but then the effects will be entirely different.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ye Duniya Agar Mil Bhi Jaaye To Kyaa Hai...

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Neeraj: Ye Daulat Bhi Le Lo, Ye Shohrat Bhi Le Lo...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant..the sher (couplet) and the broom...

    ReplyDelete
  12. After I went through the post I came back to the opening lines:
    Ab main samjha Mumbai Sheher mein Antilia ka matlab,
    Daulat-e-Reliance pe scarecrow bithha rakha hai!

    और क्या बाकी छोड़ा आपने !

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Alka: thanks :-)

    @Umashankar: और बाकी बचा ही क्या :)

    ReplyDelete