You Can Be A Snob Too!

Friday, February 3, 2012

Snobs
(Picture courtesy thesmartly.com)
Who doesn’t want to be a snob? You must have encountered many a snob in your life, secretly admired them, and ardently desired to be like them, but didn’t know how to become one. Well, until now because in the next few lines you are going to learn the finer aspects of snobbery, which you will find easy to inculcate in yourself.

Even if you consider snobbery an uncharted territory, you will definitely discover a hidden snob inside you, and will be able to unleash him in his full glory on this world. If you already are a snob, these tips will help you become a better snob.


1. Learn to distinguish: It is all right to believe that human beings are created equal, but some, as George Orwell might put it, are created more equal than others, like those who are either born in illustrious families or those who excel in their fields with talent and hard work to become rich and famous. The rest, of course, are hoi polloi busy with their day-to-day, mundane jobs. You should learn to distinguish between these two types and rightfully assume that you belong to the superior group even if you are good at nothing.

2. You should show extreme regard to those whom you consider superior, and should have an innate desire to be associated with them. Do follow whatever is hyped by them. Even if you cannot afford high-end stores and restaurants, know their names and how to pronounce them correctly.

3. Now that you believe you belong to the elite circle, act superior in front of the people who you think are less cultured and absolutely devoid of class. Treat them with disdain, and condescension, and disparage their life style. They are not your type. Hence you are not obliged to tolerate them. Never let your guard down in front of them.

4. Learn appropriate body language. When you are in front of the superiors keep fawning all the time. Put on your best smile and act with sophistication. While in front of the inferiors, put on a dour expression, keep your lips pursed with corners downwards, the eyebrows slightly raised, and the nose turned up as if you have encountered a foul smell.

5. Remain ignorant. Other than learning the names of expensive brands or anything hyped by the superiors, you don’t have to give a hoot about anything. The more ignorant you remain the better snob you would make because knowledge engenders humility and empathy, both of which are antidotes to snobbery.

Now that you know the secret formula of becoming a snob, go set yourself loose on the humanity in any of these incarnations—a wealthy snob, a page-3-type snob, a music snob, a food snob, a cantonment snob, a nationalistic, a religious, or a casteist snob, an English-medium-educated snob, an intellectual or a literary snob, a blogging snob or a social-media snob... the scope is simply limitless!

43 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Here comes the prodigious quick learner! Congratulations!

      Delete
  2. A slow learner like me is ever unlikely to fit the bill:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suhel Seth of "Get to be the Top Snob" if you could expand the idea and put it in a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha....right-on! Actually, he was on my mind when I began writing this post :-)

      Delete
  4. That is a perfect step-by-step lesson in snobbery. Thanks for giving me gyan. Wish I had read this post when I had had an encounter of the snob kind. http://cybernag.in/2010/10/an-evening-with-a-culture-vulture-2/

    Still, better late than never :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Giri's 5 shots!!! I remember India Today running a cover story extending to over 15 pages on this topic. And how beautifully do you describe, here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It comes naturally to some....else some are quick learners like Umashankar..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True!! It comes naturally to some, but the others can perfect it by a little encouragement and hard work!

      Delete
  7. Step no 4 is very tough ,specially the part keep which says, keep your lips pursed with corners downwards, the eyebrows slightly raised, and the nose turned up .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is tough, but you can master it after a little practice. After all, practice makes a woman perfect :-[

      Delete
  8. so these traits prove monkeys are indeed our an ancestors...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need more research on snobbery among monkeys....

      Delete
  9. Remaining ignorant is the most important and ultimate aspect of snobbery. Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I leave this page a better and more improved snob than I was when I stepped in ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Shail and here I am struggling to leave an aptly snobbish wisecrack :D

      Delete
  11. LOL Giribala :) I have always admired snob :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now I know how to be just like them!

      Delete
    2. I have also always admired snobs and have been in awe of them :-|

      Delete
    3. I always knew it - You just had to write a post inspired by me!!!!

      Ohhh.. Now that you have done so, please share tips on how to deal with so many admirers ;)

      (did I do well???!!!)

      Delete
    4. Puja, please carry on with tip no. 4 in front of your admirers...

      Delete
  12. *Sigh... I miss the delete feature*

    Snobbery is an art - you need years to perfect it. And you thought you could help lesser mortals with just a 5 point guide! Bwahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever someone starts a grand project for the benefit of humanity, doubters and cynics try to dislodge it....But I know all geniuses are ridiculed in the beginning :-|

      Delete
  13. A little confession here .. I was once called a literary snob - that’s because I labeled a chiclits as (ahem !) trash :)
    I guess I Should have seen it coming. Nice post !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruchira, thanks for reading! I hope I write well for your literary standards :-)

      Delete
  14. the food snobs are the worst! the ones who are too fancy to eat at a Olive Garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-/ and I thought Olive Garden was an elite restaurant....

      Delete
  15. What a brilliant post.. I confess.. Lots of people think I am a snob..but only till they get to know the chatterbox me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kajal! Looking forward to knowing you :-)

      Delete
  16. I don't know what kind of snob i am, but i have always been good at maintaining my style of fashion. I am not sure if I feel myself superior about it, but I do wonder why some people who can afford to keep up with the good fashion wouldn't do that. Does this make me a fashion snob? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I have a few friends who are fashion snobs, but do not look down upon me....:-)

      Delete
  17. Oh gosh....giribala - you must read this blog : http://mobiustext.blogspot.com/2011/12/are-you-snob.html

    What is a snob - Lesson 101.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read that post and found a namesake there :-)

      Delete
  18. *You should show extreme regard to those whom you consider superior* I do this religiously, don't I Giri Aunty? We can also have snobbish role models like Veronica from Archies, and other famous snobs from literature and cinema. (In place of books and films :P) Using refined words also counts no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing good! But don't forget to show your disdain to your inferiors with the help of appropriate body language and facial expressions....

      Delete
    2. I shall learn that from Chunky, my late cat, the epitome of snobbery, the avatar behind my blogger alterego. The grand Kamikaze :) His highness Jhunjhunwala also shows disdain very awesomely. :) *I am still stuck on point 2 :P *

      Delete
    3. lol..... at getting stuck at point 2 :D

      Delete
  19. I just tagged you in one of my FB post and after reading this the tagging makes me feel like such a wannabe writer. WTH I'm a big writer after this post. & Ahem...Thanks

    ReplyDelete