My Hidden Talent

Thursday, June 23, 2011

I have an extraordinarily well-developed hidden talent, which I have been trying to bring out to display for the benefit of the whole world, but try as hard as I can, it remains inside and refuses to manifest itself in its full glory. I am dead sure about my musical talent because in my head, I can sing all my favorite Bollywood songs and ghazals in correct pitch and perfect rhythm with the ease and panache of the original singers.

While my husband tells me that music is not my cup of tea and that I should spend more time in the kitchen making real tea, I believe I can perfect my actual singing with due patience, diligence, and practice.

Thus for the past several years, I have been training my vocal chords during all my waking hours.

Whenever we go out, my daughter walks 15 feet ahead of me and communicates only via text messages. She has indicated many times that if I didn’t stop singing in public, people would start doling out coins and dollar bills. But believe me, to this date, no one has ever offered me any money: not that I would mind it. Artists like me usually live on alms and do need some patronage.

At home, both of my family members have learned to use earplugs. That is all right because, finally, I have decided to do things that make me happy. Trololololo lololo lololo, hahahahaha hahahahaha…

From quite a young age—be it at school assembly, ladies sangeet, or playing antakshari—I used to be in great demand as a singer. One fateful day, my father interrupted me while I was singing a song, “Kya mil gaya sarkar nashabandi kara ke, nasbandi kara ke hamari chhutti kara ke…(What did you gain, oh Government, by banning alcohol, and turning us into good-for-nothing by forceful sterilizations….)” He said that it didn’t sound proper. This incident happened in 1977—yeah, I am that ancient. Being an extremely sensitive child, I gave up my favorite hobby for many years that followed.

These days at Indian get-togethers my friends give me prizes for not singing, suggesting that I was a veteran, hence shouldn’t compete. Do you think I don’t understand their connivance? Only God can save me from such jealous friends. Once, I even heard someone remark that if the mike reached my hand, no one else would get a chance.

(Notice how I am awarded and crowned for not singing while two of my friends scramble for the mike.)
Lately, I have realized that, somehow, my recorded songs don’t sound exactly the way I sing. Either my talent still wants to remain hidden, or the present-day audio-video recorders are not able to capture the essence of my singing. I hope there is a breakthrough in technology in the near future, and, no, I don’t like Auto-Tune. Until then, you will have to make do with the songs sung by the original singers:



Check out my YouTube Channel for more songs.

34 comments:

  1. There's a place where we take friends with such talents: Karaoke Night at our favorite watering hole.

    A coupla beers down, we realize that they do sing well. And thankfully, we remember nothing the next day.

    Perfect stage practise. Trust me on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mao had once said, Let all the flowers bloom.You must do what you think is right for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haaaa !Aaap gao Giribala ,hum aapke saath hain !

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!!!! Try perfecting the art in the bathroom first ;-)

    Would be glad to hear you sing...post a video in the next post(Here at-least, people have the option of turning the volume off! :P )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand you and feel for you..My mother who should be biologically programmed to love me cant bear the thought of me singing..I guess she is jealous..

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehe. reminds me of bheja fry. havn cn d secn part yet bt dere defntly is a surety of high demand in ur case :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahaha. Family, they always know best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Expect you to post your song here. Guys on net have big hearts, river patience. But ... still ... if you wanna train urself, may I say: "Without proper training such as I; Which few others could supply; You'll remain a mere beginner; But with me you'll be the winner."

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Rindo: that's a good idea!!

    @Chowla ji: only you understand my pain!

    @Kavita: thanks so much :-)

    @Akanksha: my singing does sound good in bathroom....!!

    @JE: Thanks...Oh yes, everyone is jealous!

    @Sadiya: Thanks for the nice words :-)

    @Zeba: True! You need to win your family before conquering the world!

    @Neeraj: That's good to know! Thanks for the encouraging words. I will keep persevering!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sometimes wonder why did no Music composer pick me for an assignment while I sung all the way to glory in my bathroom. My mother tells me it's the dog they are scared of. :P

    Anyways, gaana aaye ya na aaye, gaana chahiye :D

    Because the world will always be jealous, if you sing then of your voice and if not then of your silence. :)

    Nice post.


    Cheers,
    Blasphemous Aesthete

    ReplyDelete
  11. you should post at least one song in your voice. i am really depressed ... not found here ... however ye mera diwanapan was very much liked by me

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good one as usual!!! Sing all you must Giribala, as a fellow singer with similar hidden talents, I support thee completely!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Anshul: Keep trying...The chances of being discovered also depend upon the bathroom owner.

    @Arkjesh: Thanks! I will post my song sometime in future. I don't think it will be any better than the Jogi video you had posted... :-)

    @Deepa: Thanks for your support! Nice to know someone with similar hidden talent :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. amazing..not only singing u have another great talent to make others smile...and it is displayed very efficiently. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I keep forgetting my hidden talents. This is also one of my hidden talent.
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Multi faceted Giribala.....keep singing. I wish I could.Love the song.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The world connives against the talented Ms Giribala...till then we will have to contend ourselves with her ramblings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah doesn't matter if nobody lets you sing. You can always talk about your excellent singing skills in blog posts like this one. We'll be more than happy to read and feel privileged! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Leena: Thanks for the compliment! Nice knowing you :-)

    @Prateek: We should form a band and call it Hidden Talents :p

    @Alka: It is a wonderful song, isn't it?

    @Purba: Yeah...till then you have to put up with my ramblings :-|

    @Sammy: Now this is a consoling thought...dil ko bahlane ke liye :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah ha! What a wonderful secret skill! Do keep trying to unearth it....hilarious post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. indeed! genius is never recognised in its lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What about starting a group called Bathroom Singers Anonymous?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aww...I would be glad to hear you sing! Send me a tape sometime. And if you want guitars to go along with it, you know who to call upon! :D

    Great blog!
    wishes
    Scribblers Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Smrithi: thanks :-)

    @Deepak: Sad but true :-|

    @Harish: I am far better than bathroom singers :-/

    @Mithun: Thanks! So you dabble in music too besides writing. Nice knowing you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think it was Wali Miyan Sheikhpeer who said "If music be the food of love, make mine an omelette..."
    So maybe keep on breaking eggs. And (er..shameless self promotion here) learn more about Wali Miyan here http://subrotopant.blogspot.com/2011/06/wali-miyan-sheikhpeer.html or http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Wali_Miyan_Sheikhpeer

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really Lovely the way you write!.. :) what else can i say :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Subroto: I also feel that music is the food for soul! Thanks for the links!

    @Zephyr: I can put up with the heartless world with the love and support of friends like you!

    @Arpit: Thanks a lot!!

    @Samik: Thank you for the nice words :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. @giribala- i guess age is not a barrier to learn new stuff and pursue your hobbies.if u love singing enroll yourself for classes.I too have been singing and when i go for competitions, there have been old uncles and aunties coming to sing.the moment i heard them singing i got goosebumps .they were simply the best.They were an inspiratiion..At 60 and 70 they were better than most of us. So I think you shouldnot worry about your friends or family as to what they think or tell....u must pursue ur hidden talents :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks Chitra!!! I was waiting to hear this from someone who is into music :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Seems like I have got this hidden talent too. I can also sing perfectly in my head. No kidding. :) I also need incentives to hone my skill.

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Ajay: Yes, you can! Keep practicing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Giribala -- I am really enjoying your posts. Reading them is liking having potato chips with masala tea - crispy, spicy and sweet at the same time.

    By-the-way thanks for dropping by at my blog
    and leaving comment.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks Bindu!! That's a really wonderful description of my blog. It proves you too are an awesome writer. Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete