The Turning Points Of My Life

Sunday, January 29, 2012

During my early years, despite being a bit precocious, I was a normal kid. And then one fateful day in 6th standard, my math teacher hit me on my head for a wrong answer, discovering at the same time that I was nearsighted and needed corrective glasses. Something changed after that day. Not only did I start wearing spectacles, but also began considering myself superior to everyone else, looking down on them as mere mortals indulged in satisfying their mundane urges, whereas I spent my time contemplating higher spiritual stuff.

The pair of spectacles instantly elevated my standing in the society. My schoolmates, teachers, and neighbors, everyone held me in high esteem. I guess they considered me studious and intelligent, though every once in a while, I got catcalls of char-ankhyan, meaning four-eyed, from stupid boys on my way to school.

All of this strengthened my belief that I was special. In my day-long reveries, with textbooks in my hands, while my mom thought I was studying, I would think only about the other world because this world was full of lowly creatures.

I also started having visions. The lord himself appeared before me. Though I used to be almost blinded by his aura, I could make out that he was well-groomed, attired in modern clothes, extremely handsome… and surprise of surprises, he wore spectacles too. He asked me to convey his message to the world that he was no longer an uncouth ancient troll in robes or dhoti, but a sophisticated, suave, bespectacled gentle God.

Now I understood my feelings of superiority. I was God’s messenger, nay I myself was God’s incarnation on this earth, continuing from where Rama, Krishna, and Jesus had left.

From then on, I began writing Spectacular Verses to spread the message of the great Bespectacled One. I began worshipping the spectacles as a symbol of God. I was sure every wretched person on this earth would find solace if he or she started wearing glasses—prescribed ones or plain ones. I knew the whole world, fed up with the ancient religions and present day godwomen and godmen like, Sathya Sai Baba, Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi, Sri Sri Ravishankar, Swami Falanand, Swami Dhikanand, Falacharya, Dhikacharya, was waiting only for me.

I wanted to open ashrams for my followers all over the world and live happily ever after in palaces surrounded by servile attendants, also traveling with my followers in my own jets.

I knew that soon enough people would start observing Mata ki chouki every Friday, singing, “Chashme walee Mata teri sada hi jai ho… Hail the bespectacled Goddess.” In my Faith, I had included all good practices from the major religions and wonder tricks from the godmen.

Around this time, I happened to visit Shimla with my family. In that over-populated hill station, we hired a taxi for sightseeing. We visited the Mall, the famous Christ Church, and the Heritage Museum. After that, the taxi driver took us to Jakhu hill, atop of which, he said, there was an ancient temple of Hanuman ji, our revered monkey god. On our arrival, the taxi driver informed us that the place was infested with monkeys, and advised us to leave bags and eyeglasses in the taxi. I couldn't see much without my glasses, hence there was no question of leaving them behind. We stepped out of the taxi and walked towards the gate of the temple complex, when suddenly, tabhi achanak, a big monkey came flying from the right pillar of the temple gate, snatched the spectacles from my nose, and leaped away downhill.

While my father inquired the locals about the modus operandi of getting the glasses back—buy a food packet and offer it to the monkey—my mother hit me hard on my head, chastising me with the words, “Couldn’t you leave them in the taxi?” Once again, something changed after that day. I got disenchanted with the Bespectacled God, who couldn’t even save me from a monkey. I stopped having visions and no more considered myself superior to other human beings. Thus all my dreams of living off my guileless followers’ money were nipped in the bud.

Related link: BBC NEWS: Why do people experience religious visions?
Picture: Modified from a picture on colourbox.com

Unrelated: Gayatri Rao, a blogger friend from my neighborhood has written some kind words about the Grist Mill!

34 comments:

  1. You would have benefited hugely and not become a mere mortal like us had you chanted 'Bajrang bali ki jai' at Jakhu and may be the monkey would have spared you to continue to become ' Chashmewali Maa'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. ha ha... looks like it's not too late to start a religion!

      Delete
  3. All I can say is that you are the sexiest specy-lady I have ever met :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting to know that it all started with your spectacles. Your weak eyes made a way for you to look at things differently and gain more inner strength to perceive things differently. It was a nice read and great to figure once again that the strength lies at the weakest points sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You certainly read between the lines :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow i am here in the blog of God's incarnation :P :) Lovely write up, liked the way you described :)
    Nice work again !
    keep rocking madam !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ....you are God's incarnation too! In fact all of us are :-)

      Delete
  6. The Chashmewali mata that almost was, I bow before thee! You can find humour in the most profound topics :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great read .Tried to comment twice the day you posted it but the comment box was not opening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like Blogger is trying to create rift between us :-|

      Delete
  8. Long live Chashmewali Mata and her spectacular verses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you see, the monkeys were trying to spread your fame?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now in hindsight I think maybe the monkey had also wanted to become a follower of the new religion!

      Delete
  10. I rue that second blow that was delivered to your head, nay, our heads that prised away an Incarnation Incarnate from the humanity. On second thoughts though, we would have missed The Grist Mill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows, instead of the Grist Mill there would have been Mata di Chakki!

      Delete
  11. hi giribala;;
    you have written very well..and the post was very funny..
    I liked it very much..
    when I was in my senior secondary school, and I used to see any students wearing spectacles, I consider him very intelligent in studies. but this opinion changed soon...

    but as you have sketched your memory very well and I don't have words to admire it..
    nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jitendra! While you read my blog, you should keep in mind that everything I write is not true! I exaggerate and add fictional anecdotes to make it funny :-)

      Delete
  12. Did it even occur to you that the long tailed one was God's emissary? Hey Bhagwan had lost his pair and needed yours urgently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, could be, but God should have given me some sign immediately before or after the incident :-|

      Delete
  13. That was hilarious and thought provoking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. well they say God always has the purpose.. I am sure he wanted another writter in this godly world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all mere instruments in the hands of God! I only write what He wants me to write, like Salman Rushdie writes what Allah wants him to write....and then fundamentalists oppose him because Allah wants them to oppose.... His ways are intriguing :-|

      Delete
  15. Have u considered the fact that it could have been worse? That the monkey could have bitten you, and left the glasses on the ground?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think about the worst.... like airplane or meteorite falling over me.....thanks for reading :-)

      Delete