Why I Was Reluctant To Support The Anti-Corruption Movement

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Rs. 50 used to have great value back then
Many of my readers have wondered why I have not come forward in support of the anti-corruption movement. I am very sorry to disappoint you all. I have a long, sustained, economically beneficial association with this enormous amoeboid creature called corruption and I simply cannot start throwing poisonous darts at it.

I am one of its favorite munh-boli daughters. I was born after paying bribes to a doctor and a midwife, graduated from various schools and colleges by bribing the teachers and the officials, and got married, again, by paying bribe, i.e., dowry. And how do you think my father got money for his large family? I cannot imagine life without corruption. Most of my friends, relatives, and family members have been corrupt by various degrees. My entrepreneur friends do not like the notion of income tax at all. And my hard working relatives—doctors, engineers, lawyers, police officers—tell me that there is no provision of paying tax on their extra income.


Apart from giving and receiving bribes and evading income tax, we also believe in manipulating electricity bills, not following traffic rules, actually any other man-made rule at all. Most of us approve aborting female fetuses, and raise our sons to become arrogant chauvinists and crooks. I will not name my relatives who have aborted baby girls to have sons.

Following each other’s examples, we have been living happy, contented, and extremely pious lives. I do not want to destroy the complacency of my friends and relatives by shooting unnecessarily in the midair. After all, it feels so good when the bundles of currency arrive home. I would never make them feel guilty or uncomfortable by telling them that the big scams, condemning our nation into perpetual decadence, are direct outcomes of our seemingly innocuous delightful corrupt practices. And the decadence not only means the lack of good roads, full-time electricity, water, and internet for everyone, but also more poor, hungry, and criminals littering the streets.

To uphold the honor and pride of my family, I choose not to write against my relatives. Nor will I write against my friends. I might lose them forever.

I couldn't even, “using a pen, write in thick lettering, “Mera Neta Chor Hai” on my forearm, and wear it everywhere” because many netas are my relatives too, e.g. my didi, my uncle. Otherwise, the “Mera Neta Chor Hai” campaign was the most ingenious idea of the millennium. I propose the highest award in the Universe for the acclaimed author, Chetan Bhagat. He is sooo intailigent. He should be sent into the space to interact with the aliens. Now please, don’t propose my name for similar space mission because of this awesome recommendation. I might not be able to deal with the aliens in case they didn’t have a developed bribery system like ours.

Once again, if you are still expecting that I would write against corruption in Indian society, I am sorry, not only will I never hurt the feelings of my friends and relatives, but also I will never write anything that would show our rich and glorious culture in poor light.

Gosh, I am a simple person with one-track mind and so much thinking has made me anxious. I am going to pray for an extra hour today. Oh, and I will also make an appointment for a puja with my panditji to keep off my mind from such disturbing thoughts. This panditji is the greediest person I have encountered in a long time, but right now I don’t have any other choice.

Important Update*
After posting this article, I have been receiving phone calls and emails from my near and dear ones. They are all saying the same thing: “Kya tune humein itni patli chamdi ka samjha hai? Do you think we are so thin-skinned? Go ahead and write whatever you want. We wish you made some money from your blog.” I also learned that they are all supporting Anna Hazare’s movement.

“Let the Government enact the Jan Lokpal Bill,” one of them wrote. “We will find our way out.”

Finally, the burden of betrayal has lifted from my conscience and I am free to extend my full support to the anti-corruption movement. Please send me requests to join the online causes once again. I luv online causes. And also, I luv Baba Ramdev and I luv Sri Sri Ravishankar, and it would be luvely to be seen in the company of such distinguished, dignified demagogues.

Related Links:
INDIAN EXPRESS: Of the few, by the few
VANTAGE POINT: On Anna Hazare and Fasting
OPEN: The Anna Hazare Show
YAHOO: Where Anna Hazare Gets It All Wrong

35 comments:

  1. Excellent post. The line "got married, again, by paying bribe" was the most eccentric of all.
    I was at Jantar Mantar yesterday when a MAN came and asked the fellow MEN, "Yahan kuch ho raha tha kya?" See the height.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I loved this!!! When my MIL commented on the movement by saying "even if 2-3 people like Anna stand up we will be free of corruption" to which I retorted "not unless we stop paying that 5 rs extra to watchman to get our work done quicjly & not until we stop filing false medical bills et al"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. :)

    Slacktivism is fun: you get to boast about your awareness and support for a cause simply by clicking a button, and voila, you get to be called a Righteous Citizen, and The Future of the Nation.

    The activists out on the field will sure be glad that 367,048 phantom supporters can change the world as we know it, from the comfort of their own homes.

    I think the greatest invention of the last decade should go to the Facebook "Like" button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thumping our chests in victory and thinking we did a Tahrir square at Jantar Mantar. Agreed this was the first time the middle class overwhelmingly came out in support of a movement but I still feel the euphoria is misplaced.

    We already have laws in this country which makes it a crime to either give or take bribes. We have multiple institutions responsible for enforcing this law. How does creating another institution solve the problem? Instead of making existing institutions perform, we are now all standing in line and shouting slogans to create another one that will surely go the same way. We have a track record of successfully corrupting every institution that we have created, and what inures the Lokpal from the same fate. Frankly the easiest thing for the Government to do was to concede to his demand, before anything untoward happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GOOD One...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all!! Let us hope that this movement keeps the issue of corruption on the forefront so that people think twice before indulging in corrupt practices and honest people do not feel helpless!
    More power to Anna Hazare and more power to the movement!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very very good one! It was infact a proud moment when the media was proclaiming the anti-corruption movement as the best ever victory after the independence. Lets see how far this goes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why did you have to say all these things on your blog! Now the world will know that corruption is endemic in India. Tsk,tsk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We must comprehend our-self with few basic things before showing our support for mass movements like the one we witnessed last week. Never get carry away with such movements. We should bind this in our mind that wiping out an evil like corruption will take years. Yet, movements against social evils like corruption acts as an igniter and more of a catalyst to start a process which will definitely yield an output in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for showing us the mirror but are we not trying to build a better image for our children? We are fallible but that should not stop us from taking a step forward fearing a fall. Had we adopted this approach of 'guilt stop us from moving forward' no society would have existed with whatever moral and ethical values we have. I believe everyone is fallible and that included Gandhi, Dr King, Mandela and who ever you feel to praise or find faults in. Nobody can be perfect but everyone can take a step towards it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. brilliant! dripping sarcasm at every word!
    just like charity, corruption too begins at home!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Because, corruption has become a way of life, system nees to be put into action and decisive action.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of your best I have read....a different take.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Anto, Sanjay, Rachit, Harsh!!
    Also Deepak, BKC, Alka, Vaishnavi, thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. if we have a will to chance then it is impossible to stop us as we all have anna hazare in us we only need to wake him up and start him to work for other

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very forcefully voiced. Loved the sarcasm and the underlying angst-ridden words.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you written this post using a pirated copy of Microsoft Office? If yes, you're there.. else you're not fully Indian :p

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome write-up, this. Pin-points the corruption in our everyday lives and in each and every member of the Indian society. Sharing on twitter! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have been reading tons about anti corruption but your take is not only interesting and different but the sarcasm had the desired effects too. Nicely thought of and well executed..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Anonymous!

    @Zephyr: Thanks for the nice words! I am not feeling good even after blurting out.

    @g2: We call ourselves desi. The pirated MS Office came along with the pirated laptop.

    @Sammy: Thanks a lot for the tweet :-)

    Thanks Perception!

    ReplyDelete
  21. great post Giribala! kudos to u for hi-lighting most of our common malpractices and yes as Smita rightly said its just giving that extra 5Rs. for getting work done quickly that should be stopped first! How much do we gain by filing a wrong medical claim..don't we just blow that much on a shopping spree unnecessarily...wat's the point of saving??

    ReplyDelete
  22. Actually, you've got a point. And yes, our relatives wont mind you writing against them, they do it themselves too, to climb up the ladders of favour and power. Don't you want to grow more popular? I am just waiting for the Lokpal to come and be crowned the king of fools.

    While I was going through the beginning of your post, this song came into my mind:

    I was born of the womb of a poisonous spell
    Beaten and broken and chased from the lair
    But I rise up above it, high up above it and see
    I was hung from the tree made of tongues of the weak
    The branches were bones of liars and thieves
    Rise up above it, high up above and see


    Cheers,
    Blasphemous Aesthete

    ReplyDelete
  23. @rt: It has become a habit.
    @Anshul: The song is equally depressing. I am going to listen to some rottenly happy song now...All izz well...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Excellent post. Loved the subtlety.

    Just one question, is Mayawati aunty actually your didi. Say my hi to her, I'm her BIGGEST fan. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The corpse of corruption shall be served as a dish, which shall be thrown into the bin; because even though the dish shall taste blissful the condition of the bowels would be pitiful, once consumed.

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Harsh: Thanks! Will convey your hi :-)
    @Sayak: First someone has to kills the corruption...

    ReplyDelete
  27. This has got to be the finest satire on the ways of incredible Indians. The humour has sunk through the thick hide like a hot knife through butter, and exposed the dark, naked soul.

    ReplyDelete
  28. 'Right or Wrong' is right and wrong at the same time. The sweet price of a dilemma :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sarcasm that shows mirror.. Truly a truth. Some might deny but deep inside that too are familiar with demons inside.. We indians support anna hazre and yet would prefer arm chair activism rather than candle march. Thats easy...

    ReplyDelete
  30. cool.. count me a fan from today..

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Umashankar, @Anil, @Deepika: Thank you all for reading!!

    @Shalet: Thanks!! Nice knowing you :-)

    ReplyDelete