World Rhetoricians’ Convention

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It so happened that Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck were chatting online, and during their passionate back and forth, they accidentally spilled in the chat window how lonely they were in spite of their bunch of ardent followers.

“It’s lonely at the top,” he wrote.

“You betcha,” she replied.

“Heads of state mingle with each other at G8 Summit, business leaders have meetings to discuss their issues, movie stars gather at award ceremonies, even the petty bloggers manage to hold bloggers meets.”

So Palin and Beck decided to have a Rhetoricians’ Convention. Palin then informed me about the meeting and its agenda:

1. To chill out with like-minded people.

2. Share ideas and tips on: a) How to make Holy books sound relevant. b) How to flaunt patriotism. c) How to survive the onslaught of leftist media.

3. Extend support and encouragement to each other for realization of full potential, and also groom young rhetoricians so that the art does not die with the present generation.

She entrusted me with the responsibility of organizing the convention, which included inviting other rhetoricians and finalizing the venue, with strict instruction that it should be held at a foreign location because she was fed up with the allegations of inexperience in foreign affairs.

Now I thunk and thunk and thunk about a suitable location and quite judiciously decided on Haridwar, a hot destination, to acquaint the guests with our rich culture of yoga, meditation, and Baba Ramdev. Among the other reasons for choosing Haridwar was the fact that the greatest rhetorician Awesome Bin Laden had been living there incognito, and I also wanted to prove to Glenn Beck that Ganges was not a name of some disease.

Let me tell you, organizing an event of such magnitude was not like your child’s run-of-the-mill birthday party.

I booked Ram Teri Ganga Maili Beach Resort. Then I made several phone calls to reach the dignitaries and “motivate” each one of them to participate. Not everyone could spare time, but I managed to gather a decent crowd. A surprise visitor, rather a party crasher, was Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Otherwise, we had not invited any heads of state.

It was the most rocking, stupendous, terrific gathering I had ever seen. I don't know why, but it reminded me of a jamun tree in the backyard of my childhood home where the crows came to roost at night. Besides Palin, Beck, Bin Laden, Ahmadinejad, we had Narendra Modi, Uncle Thackeray, Cousin Raj, Varun Gandhi, Sri Sri Ravishankar, and ten more people. Everyone wanted to talk and talk, and no one was willing to listen.

A Gathering Of Great People (unrelated to the article)
“Madam,” I heard Raj Thackeray, “your crosshairs map could incite only a few vandals and just one shooter. There seems to be a lot of room for improvement. I was fortunate to learn the art at my uncle’s feet.” His hands were doing more talking than his tongue.

Palin was in splits when she learned that in this part of the world, Valentine’s Day was used to incite violent protests.

Glenn Beck and Uncle Thackeray were hell-bent on bragging about their tactics of keeping the immigration issue at boiling point. Modi was found advising Varun on the art of hate speech and the proper way to use the words, “maar dalenge, kaat dalenge.” I also saw Modi high-fiving with Ahmadinejad. One said there was no holocaust, while the other said there was no pogrom. And when Bin Laden said, “There was no 9/11,” Ahmadinejad and Modi went into convulsions.

Every once in a while, Bin Laden would pronounce, “Death to America.”

To which Palin would respond, “Stop it Awesome.” But sometimes she would absentmindedly rejoin, “You betcha,” and those around her would have a blast, leaving her aghast at the gotcha talk.

Sri Sri Ravishankar was busy getting himself clicked with each dignitary. “I might get a Nobel Peace Prize,” he confided to me. You can see the pictures on his website and also at his ashram walls.

There is a lot more to report, but this post has reached its word limit. I also have video recordings, which I might post after some editing.

Hey, just now I learned that Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck have added me to their closed Facebook group, ‘looniez’—probably meaning ‘lonely people’—which they have created to chat and to exchange notes with all of those whom they had met at Haridwar convention.

(Picture courtesy Wasserburgs)

17 comments:

  1. No bad for the first event. I am sure next year it will be by invitation only!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a laughter riot.. loved it. But why oh why did you leave out Raul Vinci?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lalit: thanks:-)
    @Pallavi: thanks! Rahul Gandhi needs to improve his rhetorical skills to get an invite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giribala ..you and your fertile imagination! Thank god for it...this one was a laugh riot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The convener deserves accolades for providing an opportunity for like minded people to meet on the banks of the Ganges... and exchange hate skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Purba and Alka :-)
    @Talha: Welcome to the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A laughter riot. Your humor is so refined and sophisticated though I don't get it at times (but I try to.) :) Ok why wasn't Julliane Assange invited to the party?
    PS : There seems to be some prob. I can't comment from my WP account.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Ajay: No, no...no Julian Assange. He is a very dangerous man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. >>Now I thunk and thunk and thunk <<
    Haa haa haa haa haa ...... you make me fall off the chair every time. 'Have mercy!' *the way Michelle says in Full House*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why not include the likes of Digvijay Singh, Bukhari, Owaisi, Geelani and Arundhati? Are they lesser Rhetoricians (if Modi is). And how come Rahul isn't here but Varun is considering their stature in national politics is diametrically opposite ? I understand this is a light hearted sarcastic post but could you be sarcastic without wearing your "liberal" tinted glasses?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Ashish: Please enlighten me more on the rhetoricians that you have mentioned (esp Bukhari, Owaisi, Geelani.) If possible post links to articles or YouTube videos related to them here for the benefit of all the readers. I myself will try to find out more about them.

    I had written about Arundhati Roy here:
    http://giribalajoshi.blogspot.com/2010/04/bin-laden-in-love.html

    As for the ones that I have mentioned in my post, here are some of the videos that had inspired me. Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck's links are embedded in the post:

    Varun Gandhi:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jCRSzD01xI

    Bal Thackeray:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjkkMhfwUsw

    Raj thackeray:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCFjjqRrFa0

    Atal Behari (His part was edited to keep the post short)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqjQkvpA48w

    Tehelka Sting on Godhra Riots (Related to Narendra Modi):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGDoUhXW0A0

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Ashish and @Pallavi: Rahul Gandhi had this post all for himself in the past:

    http://giribalajoshi.blogspot.com/2010/07/beta-lifejacket-pehno-story-of-little.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here is a sample for "Shahi" Imam Bukhari - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaErXxqjLhk

    People like Bukhari, Owaisi, Diggy etc. are same as Thackereys and Varuns.

    An do I really need to tell a person of your intellect about Geelani, who lives off Indian money and moolah while inciting violence with his azaadi/islam/kashmiriyat rhetoric?

    The really appalling thing is that you are putting someone as revered as Atal Bihari Vajpayee in the same league as the Thackerey nutcases while conveniently ignoring the other side.

    Modi is the favourite punching bag of the so called "civil society", so no surprises there.

    PS : I am not some "tilakdhaari", "trishuldhaari" "chaddiwalah" who is flexing his muscles in anticipation of creating mayhem this 14th Feb. So please don't misunderstand my intentions here. I am just disturbed by these "liberal" double standards. If Glenn Beck deserves a mention, so does Noam Chomsky. In fact I am also surprised that Pramod Muthalik is not in this list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Ashish: I will surely write about Bukhari, Owaisi, Diggy, Geelani, Muthalik in coming days. Thanks for the video link. If you come across more don't forget to send.

    As for Vajpayee ji, I have nothing against him except the video that I had posted in which he is proudly declaring how their party is going to demolish the mosque. Many people were killed in riots after that incident.

    My criteria for selecting these people was their ability to spread hatred on the basis of religion, caste, regionalism, and nationalism. Therefore Naom Chaomski didn't even cross my mind. Again I may be wrong, so I welcome any info if he ever did that.

    In the post I have written that there were ten more people besides the ones reported, so that people can imagine their favorites being there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Ashish: Noam Chomsky's latest article on US relationship with Islamic countries: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/feb/04/radical-islam-united-states-independence

    ReplyDelete
  16. Exactly the kind of rhetoric I am talking about - blame the big guy while refusing to acknowledge that something is fundamentally wrong in that region. Kind of like Nepal blaming it's inability to stabilize and elect a leader on India. While this may not be an attempt to incite hatred on writer's part, it surely gives excuse to others who choose to interpret it their way. And the writer knows this.

    ReplyDelete