Advice To Aspiring Writers

Saturday, January 29, 2011

No! Seriously, you do not want to become a writer. Writing is hard work without any earning, only learning, learning, and yearning. Behind your back, your friends will call you lazy, or good-for-nothing, or a loser. I suggest you concentrate on your day job. Besides, there is nothing in the world left for you to write about.

 Illustration by Dave Donald.
Every object and every emotion has already been explored and explained in detail—the libraries are spilling and the web is exploding with all kinds of writings. Instead of further augmenting the agonies of the readers by over-stimulating your cognitive processes and churning out original stuff, it is better to copy-paste from the web, not from my blog, though.

I sense some of you are still keen on putting down your experiences and thoughts in two dimensions. In that case, I would like to elucidate the two methods of becoming a good writer. You may follow any one of these.
1. The Mystical Method: The first one is my very own personal method. I begin with typing whatever comes to my mind. For example:

“King Queen story qwrert yuiop asdfg hjkl zxcvb nm,./ sdhl;l hfds hyk jkklll hfdsr yipmht shads fghjklqwert yuio mad about you zxcvb nm,.—Crazy kiya re… hhuh ohhh hqwert Munni badnaam hui…. zxcvb nm,. Qwertt Tere mast mast do nain… kk vvvxx kkghelod sjlpf olrek hu.”

After that I select the text, close my eyes, and recite The Grist Mill mantra five times. As soon as I open my eyes and unselect the text, it converts into a proper story—all set to be published on the blog. If you don’t believe me, read the result from the above text:

“Once there was a King who was very cruel, unjust, and corrupt. His Queen was kind, obedient, and God-fearing. She died at a young age, giving birth to her fifth child. The King lived a long life, married many times, and fathered many children—legitimate as well as illegitimate.”

This method will work for you only if you have a pure soul, and you say your prayers regularly and never lie to anyone.

2. The Traditional Method: In case the above approach fails because you are not as pious and benevolent as I am, you need to follow the traditional method. This method puts great stress on learning proper English. Perfect your grammar and punctuation—you may break the rules once you are successful, but not before that. Second recommendation is to read widely. Read everything, across all genres, and learn the rules of the genre you want to write in. Third and the most important step is to write, but only after researching your topic thoroughly. Finally, respect your readers’ intelligence.

Here are a few websites covering grammar, blogging advice, and fiction writing advice for the traditionalists among you.

GRAMMAR

BLOGGING ADVICE






FICTION WRITING ADVICE

ADVICE TO WRITERS“Writerly Wisdom Of The Ages” Collected by Jon Winokur















THE EDITORIAL DEPARTMENT: Resources for Writers


Done reading? Now start writing, and don’t tell your friends about this wonderful page. Otherwise, they will give you serious competition in the future.

PS: If you have any advice for me, or if you come across useful websites on the craft of writing, please don’t hesitate to share here because... you know... don’t tell this to anyone, but sometimes my mantras fail me too.

(This advice was previously published as a page here: http://giribalajoshi.blogspot.com/p/q.html)

27 comments:

  1. Wish I could follow the mystical method. :) Valuable resources at the links you've listed. Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ajay: Hope to see you as a published author someday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very good post, I need to bookmark this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good post. I'll try to follow the steps :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice and interesting post :)
    Good job!!
    Read my blog
    http://myfriendshipsimran.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the result of your mystical writing. I am pious, god fearing and also say my prayers regularly, I never lie and I have a pure soul.

    So I need not jealously guard all this information!? Let me share it on twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post! Please sign me up for the mysterious but magical 'Mystical method' too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Pallavi, Talha, Simran!!
    @IHM: I know you as one of the enlightened souls! When in doubt I always consult your blog.
    @Gargi: The mystical method can be generated from your inner strengths only :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful, as usual. I got all geared up to write something when I read this, then I clicked on the links and from there to more links and did what I do best, waste time online!
    PS: every writer needs to somehow manage two computers, me thinks. One without an internet connection, just basic Word, or better, just Notepad, in my opinion. :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha ha..... true Deepa :-)
    Hey all you wannabe writers, now stop reading and start writing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. Very helpful information--it may take me several days to read it all (glorious days). One thing that worked extremely well for me was joining a critique group. We support each other and push each other to write and write and write. They read my work chapter by chapter and I can get instant feedback. They push me through my writers block and FORCE me to keep to going. I love them. I wouldn't be where I am without them. I do think writers need a good/base support group. Someone to bounce ideas off. Thanks again for the post. Angela www.whimsywritingandreading.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great advice. I guess most of us are incorrigible. No money, no gain yet we continue exercising our grey cells and necks on the comp.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you not chant your own mantra before writing this one?
    It seems you did a lot of research work in posting this (viz, the websites you mentioned). Maybe we could shuttle between genres and rely on the readers intelligence and kind words to decide what appeases them more?

    Nice and interesting read.

    Cheers,
    Blasphemous Aesthete

    ReplyDelete
  14. guru ji thanks for nice teaching

    ReplyDelete
  15. @sm: Thanks :-)
    @Angela: Wish you success in your publishing efforts!
    @Alka: Yeah...no money no gain :-(
    @BA: Thanks. I thought by researching and distributing Gyan, I would increase mine as well....
    @Anon: Don't forget to send Guru Dakshina. Thanks in advance :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. टिप्‍पस तो बढिया हैं पर पढेगा कौन

    अगली बार दीजिए कि अपने लिखे को कैसे पढवायें

    ReplyDelete
  17. अर्कजेश, अपना क्या पराया क्या? जिन खोजा तिन पाईया गहरे पानी पैठ. हम तो नेकी कर दरिया में डालने वालों मे से हैं!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aiyoo I have already read this stuff on some other blog (chances are its copy paste from here too ;-)), you wasted your time, LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  19. @whymeGod: Maybe you read it on my site itself. I had posted this as a "page" in October. Check the tab "Writing Advice" above.

    ReplyDelete
  20. it was a very good advice..fortunately i follow all these before writing but never thought my way was right..to becom a good writer..

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Kiran: You have been already following all these? That's great! Nice knowing you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. AWESOME POST! Mystical method - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey the first method just worked fine for me..It seems i have a pious soul though i do all things regarded as sin, guess after looking at the people now, God has set the standard for pious quite low..

    ReplyDelete
  24. thanks for sharing those links! keep the enlightenment coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Subroto, @Smrithi, @Perception, @GB: Thanks everyone :-)

    ReplyDelete