Hey Jones Dude, Here Is An Appeal For You

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Obama with his Blackberry
Last week, in my imagination, President Obama pinged me from his BlackBerry, “GJ, do something! Only you can stop that jackass from burning the Koran. Please post an appeal on your distinguished, widely read, popular blog. The lunatic might gain some foresight.” The President seemed concerned—very concerned.

I didn’t consider it a big issue because in my view, if Hindus, Muslims, and Christians thoroughly read their respective Holy Books, they would burn their own books instead of others’.

But then, I seriously tried to comprehend why everyone was acting like a barefoot toddler on a sun-baked road, and concluded that Terry Jones’ act could, in fact, cause a large scale irreversible global warming. In Afghanistan, people had already started burning Jones’ effigies. I was sure that if he went ahead with his stunt, it would trigger a chain reaction and in no time the whole world would be engulfed in flames, which would be certainly very interesting to watch on TV.

Therefore in my reverie, when President Obama asked me to post an appeal on The Grist Mill, I replied, “I am sorry to disappoint you Mr. President, but I am the kind of person who hands bamboo sticks to people found arguing.”

“Is that so?” He sounded excited. “That’s our philosophy too, GJ. We are the top arms suppliers in the world. Even the Taliban is indirectly armed and funded by us.”

“I know that, and also the fact that India is the largest importer of arms. By the way, what did you mean when you said you hoped Jones ‘listens to those better angels and understands that this is a destructive act that he's engaging in’? Do you really believe in angels, demons, and other supernatural stuff?”

“Heh! That is the foremost requisite for a political life, to feign belief in such nonsense.”

“Same here, Mr. President. I too like telling ghost stories to people who believe in ghosts.”

“We have so much in common.”

“Yeah!” I said with a sigh and both of us went silent after that. It was such an exalting experience to find a soulmate.

“Call me Barack.” He pinged after a few seconds.

That further ruffled my emotions, so I wrote, “And you know I was also born outside the US.”

“What do you mean by also? I am a natural born citizen of this country. Do I have to go around with my birth certificate plastered on my forehead?”

“Oh ok, leave it. Let’s talk about other things. I am actually very fond of dancing. It is my wish to shake a leg with you à la Ellen DeGeneres. Someday, we will arrange a chance encounter and dance together.”

“No, no. No, no, no. Don’t even mention it. Haven’t you seen how Michelle gave me a cold shoulder when I jigged with Thalia?”

After that, he once again requested me to post an appeal, and signed off saying that he heard Michelle’s footsteps. I was left so excited that I was inclined to comply with any of his wishes, so here I go:

AN APPEAL: Hey Jones dude, please don’t burn the Bible er… I mean the Koran. It will cause extensive global warming, which will increase my electricity bill.

Related Links: THE WASHINGTON POST - The Internet: Enabling Pastor Terry Jones and crazies everywhere
THE NEW YORK TIMES: Despite Slump, U.S. Role as Top Arms Supplier Grows
GLOBAL ISSUES: The Arms Trade is Big Business

25 comments:

  1. You crazy girl. You gonna put bama's family on fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lmao...hilarious and yes sarcastic and the dark humor is not that well hidden:P

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROFL! I love your sense of humour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. just loved this post...
    i so agree with ur comment "if Hindus, Muslims, and Christians thoroughly read their respective Holy Books, they would burn their own books instead of others’."
    and as usual found it funny/intersting and cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. His appeal has been heard well. All hail The Grist Mill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ROFL I fell off the chair on reading the first para! And I was in office! I wish I could write more like you. Some imagination you have ........ keep them coming I say!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess Jones reads ur blog after all

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well delivered! I like your style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Harsh: But that is an innocent chat :-/
    @Mithun, @Shrabonti, @rt, @Deb, @Amol, @Modesty, @ Jon, @AD : Thanks for your visit and the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My fav.
    “And you know I was also born outside the US.” :-)


    Always fun to read your blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great sense of humor - Loved your post - keep em coming..

    Sowmya
    Buzzzstop

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I didn’t consider it a big issue because in my view, if Hindus, Muslims, and Christians thoroughly read their respective Holy Books, they would burn their own books instead of others’."

    :-)

    This is your Master statement till now GJ50*. I add one word in above para "thoroughly and sincerely"

    Once again enjoyed reading your post u r equally successful to make grains tasty and healthy to minds.

    Thanks.

    * 50 is the year of India's Republic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Obama goes jiggy wiggy with GJ LOL. But seriously, a lunatic tucked somewhere in Florida plans a bonfire and sparks a world wide outrage. People are getting killed, churches are getting an undesirable makeover, WTF!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks @Sraboney, @Deepa, @Sowmya and @AK47 :-)
    @Purba: Yeah, such people are capable of making more noise.

    ReplyDelete
  15. one of a master piece of blog. love the sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved the humour! And you excel at something called sarcasm...hands down!
    The Grist Mill is undoubtedly turning into one of my most favorite blogs ever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Most religious people are pragmatic as long matters relates to someone else religion. Having said that Hindus don't follow any book as such. Hindus started treating Geeta as The book for Hindus when courts in India selected it to take oath. And everyone knows that book is only touched in court when one makes us mood to lie. Its like asking forgiveness. People still think instead of "Maa Kasam", lets put use Geeta.

    Though no one should encourage book burning, if the very foundation of a religion moves in either direction due to such burning, let it burn then. At least it will be test of tolerance as well as test of the religion itself.

    How it matters anyway. All the Madarsa, what they do is to is to make their disciples mug the whole book anyway. In fact this incident has made them mug harder just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am surprised! Obama had called me as well for some help,while I was asleep.( hi...hi...)
    I told him I am against burning books of any kind. The Koran, the Bible, the Gita, or " the diary of Jameela"...no..no...that was a slip; doesn't make any difference.But then some people burn everything which comes to their hand and we cant stop them.If they are not allowed to burn books,they might burn houses.
    Then he also asked me to support the idea of having a mosque at the Sept 11 site. I thought about it,scratched my head for what seemed an eternity and said " Yea..perfect buddy".

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stumbled upon your blog, and what a delightful read this post made :-) Awesome!! Take a bow, GJ!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Sammy: Thanks :-)
    @Rajesh: Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Over-zealous faithful followers are always ready for bloodshed.
    @Doc: Thanks for your visit! He asked you as well? Now it's my turn to be surprised! So what are you doing to support his idea?
    @Pallavi: Welcome and thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. बात तो सच है।

    वाकई अगर लोग अपने ही धर्मग्रंथों को ध्यान से पढ़े तो उन्हें जलाए बिना न रहेंगे।

    बढ़िया।

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loved the humour! And you excel at sarcasm...no doubt

    ReplyDelete