Love Poems For All Seasons: Happy Valentine’s Day!

Friday, February 12, 2010


Bee my Valentine!
One of my secret desires is to become a renowned poet, and I keep on looking for subject matters to compose poems. Thus, inspired by the oncoming Valentine’s Day, I brainstormed and recollected some high moments from my love life with the Black Sheep or Humpty Dumpty or Johny Johny—these are the terms of endearment that I use to address my husband with. And what follows is my sincere effort to express some of those memorable moments in verse.

Baa, Baa, Black Sheep, have you any wool?
Yes dear, yes dear, three bags full!
Then make me your wife,
And give me the bags,
One for my mummy ji,
And one for my sis,
And one for my lazy brother,
Who also lives with us.

Let’s both of us go up the hill,
To fetch a pale of water.
On second thoughts,
Why don’t you go alone,
While I visit a beauty parlor?

Twinkle Twinkle little star,
I wonder why you are so small,
Why don’t you work extra hard,
And aspire to be a bigger star?
Then buy me diamonds and designer stuff,
So that my social life gets a jump-start!

Humpty Dumpty, don’t go near that wall,
Don’t make excuses big or small.
If I see you talking to the neighbor’s wife,
Don’t blame me for the consequences.
All the plaster of Paris, I assure you, then,
Wouldn’t be able to put you together again!

Johny, Johny,
Yes, sweetheart,
Have you been smoking?
No, sweetheart,
Have you been drinking?
No, sweetheart.
Have you been chatting?
No, sweetheart.
Show me your browsing history:
*smash*smash*smash*

Happy Valentine's Day!







My previous attempts at poetry:

External Links:
Time Magazine: The Science of Romance: Why We Love
Helen Fisher's talk on TED: The Brain In Love

25 comments:

  1. Good to read such true emotions. And the links are also worthy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water... Jill became pregnant after nine months.

    Or another old one

    Mary has a little lamb; it was tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Neeraj, you got the gist!
    @Chow, thanks a lot!
    @Debby, lol...thanks for your visit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the Jack and Jill thing! Awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Akila, black coffee has certainly energized the page!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :D I came to your blog after I saw u on twitter... :) amazing poems!! cant stop smiling... esp johny johny.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Manasie, thanks for the cool, breezy compliments! Keep visiting :-)
    TLP, thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilarious! ...'while I visit beauty parlour'!!!
    Great humour poetry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haaaaaaa ! Best Valentine post that I read ever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely and supremely romantic ! Never read such love poems before :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A hallmark of Giribala on each poem! Enjoy your Valentine:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha :D I like the humpty dumpty one :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know that this is post is really old. But...

    'On second thoughts,
    Why don’t you go alone,
    While I visit a beauty parlor?'

    Oh.My.God. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, an old post, but I shared it recently on Valentine's Day :D

      Delete