My Life's Problems

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

(Image: 2012Connection -The Maya Meeting)
I agree that my problems are nothing of the kind that kill people. That's why after each setback, I close my eyes and derive strength from these ordinary words put together into an inspirational quote by Nietzsche, "That which does not kill us makes us stronger."

I have been struggling with some problems these days. I will not bother you with all my troubles, even though I know you are gleefully looking forward to hear all of them to glean some satisfaction from the knowledge that someone has more serious, severe, dire life problems than the ones that you are having. There is no need to feel embarrassed. Schadenfreude is a universal emotion, besides it is a good word to teach your kids if they aspire to take part in spelling competitions.

The first problem I want to share with you is about something I had done. I was a party to a fraudulent scheme in which I made a lot of money and then I got caught, but I lied and eased my way out. Though I am out of the trouble, the problem is that my conscience keeps pricking me relentlessly.

Another problem is related to a house that I bought for my parents with their life savings. It was a big house on a mountain. We could see snow-capped mountains from the rear windows and balcony. And when I looked down, there was a beautiful unfathomable deep gorge. After buying the house I remembered that unlike me my mother abhorred nature. She finds it a bit scary. I thought I would solve this problem by telling her to keep the windows shut, but then I noticed another catch. Although the first floor was spacious with an open living room surrounded by bedrooms, I realized my mom would have difficulty climbing the stairs with her troublesome knees. And the problem with the ground floor was that there was a thoroughfare - the main road of the town - passing through the bedroom. Has anyone ever owned such a house? If yes, how does one live amid traffic?  

And the last problem that I am going to unburden on you is even more complicated. I fell in love with a very rich guy because we shared a few eccentricities which I will not divulge here. I visited his home and saw that his other family members also did nothing and lived off only on their inheritance. The atmosphere in the house was also weird. Each one of them was lazying around in pajamas and looked overweight. The only person moving in the house was their butler, a maharaj, like the one we see in old Hindi movies, carrying tea cups in a tray.

Such have been my problems. I don't know how to deal with them. I assure you that I did not make any of up these like I usually do in my other posts. These are all real dreams. And whenever I wake up, I find my subconscious embroiled in a complicated contemplation over some intriguing dream. These out-of-the-world problems are more problematic than the real world problems. At least in the real world one can act and strive to fix the problems. Whereas after a distressing dream all I can do is go back to sleep in the hope that the dream continues and the problem gets solved. My only comfort is the belief that since these problems cannot kill me they will only make me stronger.

PS: If you were expecting real problems, I am very sorry to disappoint you. But don't lose heart, I just realized I do have a real problem, which I will write about in my next post.

13 comments:

  1. hahaha I will await your next post and the post after that! If you go by FB, no one has a problem. Every one lives picture perfect wives with amazing spouses and kids, takes spectacular vacations and loves all their friends. They all look incredible too. Bah, what problems are you talking about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachna! Your comment reminds me of an abandoned draft. I will try to work on it :-)

      Delete
    2. Sorry for the typo -- picture perfect lives.

      Delete
  2. Ahem! Just three imaginary ones? :) I write twice a week about all the problems I have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is not the problems in the dreams, but the mental consternation after waking up. One feels so helpless. In real life you act and work towards fixing the problems. :-/

      Delete
  3. But, but, where is the problem? I mean, your problem? The first one is the problem of a conscience, but because you won money, there isn't any problem money can't solve. The second one is your mother's actually, but then, don't you have a ground floor, or you've bought the hanging gardens of Babylon? The third one is actually not a problem. Since everyone is having pizza, you might have a slice as well. So, where is the problem? I refuse to see any. Yes, refuse.

    :)
    Regarding the reply to SB's comment, there are problems in real life which you cannot touch, or do anything about, especially when you catch a knack of making everyone else's problem your own and then fretting over it. But, dreams and problems? I guess you should go back to sleep and solve it there itself.

    Cheers,
    Blasphemous Aesthete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anshul! These interpretations sounds awesome! Looks like all my problems are blessings in disguise. I do have family members and friends like you who fret on my behalf for real life problems :p

      Delete
  4. Every problem is an opportunity .
    Look at it positively

    ReplyDelete
  5. But look at it this way - even if those problems don't get fixed, just imagine how strong they will make you in your dreams! Btw, have you tried to fix the rich man in your dream? Maybe you could have him pull away from his fat joint-family and go settle separately somewhere in the Rockies?

    An amusing post - more so because it appears that your real-world problems may not be so dramatic! That is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rickie! Yeah, real world problems are not so dramatic and can be dealt easily :-)

      Delete
  6. Such an amazing style of writing! You've got a follower. ;)

    ReplyDelete