Hina Rabbani Khar And My Nightmare

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Harish Tyagi/European Pressphoto Agenc  (via WSJ)
Last week after reading various status updates by my friends who were gushing over Hina Rabbani Khar’s good looks, I googled her to learn more.

Hina Rabbani Khar is the newly appointed Foreign Minister of Pakistan. She was born into a family of politicians and businessmen 34 years ago. She has a Bachelor’s degree in Management Sciences from Lahore University and a Master’s degree in Hospitality Management from the University of Massachusetts. She has two daughters and co-owns the Polo Lounge, a restaurant located on the Lahore Polo Ground.

After browsing the limited information about her that is available on the web, I went on to watch videos of her India visit, her first major diplomatic assignment. Initially, I thought she was lip-syncing to someone else’s voice. But soon enough I realized that although it was someone else—the GHQ back home—speaking through her, the indomitable, dabang voice was her own. I was a bit intimidated by her strict demeanor. While watching the last video in which the latest fashion icon was offering a chadar at Ajmer Sharif, I fell asleep.

I started having a nightmare in broad daylight, although at that time I didn’t have a clue that it was a dream. Everything felt so real. I heard Hina Rabbani Khar’s prayer after offering the chadar. She was asking Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya to make her Hindustan’s malika or queen. As she walked out of the dargah, I saw several men prostrating before her on a large ground. I spotted many media personalities, blogger friends, and Facebook friends among them. They were hailing Ms Khar, chanting, “Malika-e-Hindustan zindabad.”

She looked larger than life and was in the same attire—resplendent in the blue dress, Roberto Cavalli sunglasses, fresh water pearl necklace, and carrying the oversized Hermes Birkin bag—as she was on the day of her arrival.

Now she was speaking from a podium. She exhorted the prostrating men and ordered them to become murgas for their sexist commentary and reporting. While the men struggled to hold their ears from under their knees, she announced that she was serious about her job, and that if anyone referred to her as a fashion icon again, he or she would be beheaded on her orders.

Then she addressed the women standing behind all the murgas. She welcomed all those who had Hermes Berkin bags to join her elite army, and the rest were to work in the farms or at construction sites. I was also among those women. I looked at my bag. It was a home-stitched bag made from old worn-out pants. I started crying. In fact, most of the women started crying. There was a lot of wailing, bawling, lamenting. I could even hear doleful background music.

Amidst that vortex of cacophony, I was woken up by my husband who was asking me to make tea. I could still hear the loud lamenting, which I realized was coming from a TV serial my mother was watching.

We have subscribed to two Hindi channels—Aapka Colors and Zee—for my parents, who arrived two weeks ago from India. As I was passing by the living room to go to the kitchen, my mother exclaimed, “You should listen to Anandi’s mother’s dialogues.” All I could hear was wailing, bawling, and lamenting. These days my peaceful home is filled with such wailing all the time and it will go on for the next three months. And I will be working full time in the kitchen if not on the farms or on construction sites as ordained by Hina Rabbani Khar in the dream.

Related links:
India Today: Hina Rabbani Khar defends 26/11 trial delay, says Pakistan judicial process slow like India
WSJ: Hina Rabbani Khar’s Birkin Bag in Spotlight

19 comments:

  1. Lol .Poor you . Did notice our media going gaga over her with headlines like "Pak Puts On Its Best Face"(TOI),"sweating over model-like minister.”(Nav.Bh.T)and “Pak bomb lands in India,” (Mumbai Mirror).Comparisons were being made between SRK and HRK .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where was S.M Krishna? On a foreign tour? :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malikai husn but not malikai hindustan...Heard she and Geelani havent paid their taxes in a long time...only such people can afford a Birkin..

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kavita: I guess those headlines caused the nightmare....Thanks for being a dignified member of the intelligent community :-)

    @Prateek: Looks like I missed seeing him. Will go back into the dreamland again to find about him :-/

    @Alka: Or they might have overtaxed other people....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like somebody said it on twitter all it takes to become a Pak Foreign Minister is a diploma in Hotel Management and fashionable bags and sunglasses. Also best of luck surviving the onslaught of all that wailing, crying, bawling and lamenting for 3 months. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. All that media talked about was her looks and Berkin bags. The issues that were discussed and the outcome of talks didn't even matter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post. I hope Krishna will not loose Kashmir 'cause of her, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. “Malika-e-Hindustan zindabad.”
    ha ha

    sagest RAHUL......

    ReplyDelete
  9. When my in laws are visiting me, I am banished to the farthest corner of the house and my eardrums are constantly assaulted with loud lamentations of characters on Zee Bangla.

    And this reminds me, I better ask my smuggler friend to arrange a fake Berkin for me. I hate toiling in the fields.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hilarious! :)
    I am scared that all those men wooing over the beauty might give her Kashmir as a farewell gift! :P

    And, welcome to the land of saas-bahu-aur saajish. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you have another TV set in the far corner of your home - preferably the backyard.
    I always tend to misread the brand name of that bag ... bit confusing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. gosh that is a terrible nightmare -maybe you should stop watching tv.
    i used to have nightmares about TV reports when i watched. Now i have nightmares about twitter :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Sammy: Thanks for the concern! Somebody seems very intelligent. He should follow those steps to prove his saying :D

    @Ajay: People avoid putting strain on their brain.

    @Anupam: Thanks! Let's hope so. They represent their respective governments.

    @Arun: Thanks for reading :-)

    @Purba: You understand my pain....

    @Akanksha: Thanks! Don't worry about Kashmir :D

    @Jani: I watch everything on computer :-)

    @Harini: Thanks for the concern! There are bouquets as well as brickbats on Twitter. Take it easy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. :) I have never watched those terrible family dramas :) good lucks...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Extremely funny Giri..although, honestly, I too find her very pretty..Initially, when i saw her poster at my daughter's school (someone had made a project on Pakistan and it was on display), I thought she was an actress...:))

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Chintan: Thanks for your visit! Even I never watch those family dramas...but get the sound bites, and yes they are terrible!

    @Sangeeta: Thanks for reading! Had you gone into politics you would have face similar accusations of being too pretty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hina Rabbani was a fashion parade to mask the infiltration plans of terrorist to Kashmir. Lolz

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahaha...you were lucky it was just a dream! But I really liked your imagination...your husband shouldn't have woken you up so early, this story needs a little more masala!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Deguide: Is that so? I am mighty scared!!

    @Siddhartha: Thanks for reading! Looks like you want to know the fate of the murgas. I will try to complete the dream some other day....

    ReplyDelete