Jawaharlal Nehru on Upanishads

Monday, June 12, 2023

Dear Friends, I was away from blogging as I took a break to study literature and rhetoric. Currently, I am a Ph.D. candidate at Texas Woman's University, writing my dissertation on Nehruji's messages. I had planned to blog again after completing my Ph.D. in December 2023, but after so many years, I realized that social media and the world at large have changed enormously-- waqt badal gaya, jazbaat badal gaye! I don't even know if I am using the meme correctly!

That's why along with blogging, now I plan to make videos in Hindi related to literature and Nehruji's messages! I made my first video on Nehruji's insightful writeup on the Upanishads in the Discovery of India. It is in Hindi with English subtitles.


Nehru's chapter on the Upanishads in The Discovery of India provides an introduction to the Upanishads, ancient Indian texts dating back to around 800 B.C. Nehru describes the Upanishads as a significant advancement in Indo-Aryan thought, characterized by a spirit of inquiry and a quest for truth. The Upanishads critique the Vedic gods and rituals while emphasizing self-realization and the knowledge of the individual and absolute self. While the metaphysical aspects of the Upanishads may be challenging to comprehend, Nehru appreciates their philosophical approach and rationalistic background. The Upanishads promote the idea of unity and the interconnectedness of all beings, encouraging tolerance and acceptance. Nehru acknowledges the difficulty of grasping the Upanishads due to their unique style and distant historical context. Nevertheless, he highlights their profound influence on Indian and global thought, attracting admiration from scholars and philosophers like Schopenhauer and Max Muller.

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment