1. This message was posted by a bright son studying in a reputed university: Dear Dad, I take this opportunity to thank you for always supporting me and sis in our studies. I am particularly in awe of the way you have molded Mum to slave for our family. When we are at home, we never even have to pour a glass of water for ourselves. She picks up our undergarments after we have our baths. Mum was quite young when she got married. Instead of encouraging her to work, or letting her waste time on studying or developing some hobby, you dealt firmly with her and kept her busy with the housework. Which made her happily forget that she is an individual too. Now she finds joy only in our achievements. Thank you for providing us such an environment. It has certainly been conducive to our well-being and studies. I owe all my success to you!
2. Message from a happily married son: Happy Father’s Day, Dad! Thank you for all that you have done for me in life. I could not have found a wife without your help. Though my wife and I are incompatible in every way, I am happy that you made sure that our horoscopes were a perfect match. Whenever I look around the house, the furniture reminds me of you. Even though it was given by the father-in-law, you were the one who negotiated tough and got that miser to loosen his purse strings. I hope you and Mom keep pressure on him so that he gives a generous gift on our first wedding anniversary. Love you Dad!
3. Message from a well-protected son: Happy Father’s day, Papa! Your daughter-in-law keeps pestering me to live independently, but I will live and die, serving you and Mummyji! Can you increase my monthly allowance by 5,000 rupees?
4. Message from a pervert son: Dad, you are the best! When that girl from Sector 2 complained that I misbehaved with her, you sent her home after giving a lecture on modesty. And when sister complains that I flash and grope her, you save me by saying that it is impossible. Thank you for your constant support!
5. Message from a well-protected daughter: Dear Dad, thank you for keeping us sisters safe and well-protected during our growing years. You rightly discontinued my studies for fear of my getting morally corrupted in college. I didn't understand your anxieties back then, but now I know how much our family’s honor means to you. Though I couldn't learn any life skills, I am proud that I come from an honorable family. Thank you for instilling right values in us.
6. Message from a well-settled daughter: Happy Father’s Day, Dad! I miss you a lot. I am very happy here. My in-laws keep praising you in front of everyone for the wonderful wedding arrangements, and only in private do they recount the shortcomings. It doesn't matter much. I am very happy here. The husband didn't let me call you today. Hope you had a great day!
Such fatherly virtues are worth emulating by the newer generation which is found belittling our culture and traditions. We should not forget that our fathers' generation has worked hard to make our country a great nation. Their exemplary behavior has subconsciously taught us how to appreciate upar ki kamai, the under-the-table income, and how to keep mothers, sisters, wives, and daughters subdued and safe.