It Happened Only Once

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

















My little daughter, now grown up,
Once asked, “What if my head had been
Taken to put on a
Divine headless body
Because Dad says
Many a time, while sleeping,
You turned your back on me?”

“Oh dear, just think about it,
What a blessing it would have been
To be raised by divinity
To the best of their abilities.

Think of all the love and kindness
That you would have received,
Without the pain and agonies
This mortal world has in abundance to give.

Moreover, your head,
Along with your face on a new body,
Would have been
Immortalized for eternity,
To be worshipped by
Billions of devotees.”

I am afraid that,
After reading this,
The young mothers
Would start sleeping
With their backs turned
Back against their babies.

After all it is a habit
Worth acquiring,
Even if the chances are
One in infinity!

***

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi to all of you!
According to one version of Ganesha's birth story, Lord Shiva asked to bring the head of a child whose mother was sleeping with her back turned to the baby.

(Picture courtesy dollsofindia.com)

16 comments:

  1. I remember my mother telling me not to sleep with my back turned to my babies.Never knew the reason /tale behind it .Nice verses.
    Happy Ganesh Chaturthi To You too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well... I have no idea about this "back" thing :(
    but still... its written beautifully... :) :)
    Loved the picture..
    Happy Ganesh Chaturthi..!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Ganesh Chaturthi!
    And I loved the poetry!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know this story, but then it would be a nice proposition, though I am not sure if any mother would want to part with her baby even for God's sakes. Maybe that is why God asked to bring a child from the mother who wasn't looking at the baby.

    Nice post.


    Cheers,
    Blasphemous Aesthete

    ReplyDelete
  5. You turned your back on your child,
    Yet, how wonderful an explanation you give...
    Not just your child but us all mortals,
    In your mystic words do readily believe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't sound fair to the mother and baby elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for reading and for the greetings!!!

    Even though the story had sounded normal when I heard it as a child, now when I watched a couple of videos to refresh the story the business of chopping heads grossed me out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. really nice verse..I didn't have any idea about the 'back' thing though I did remember the Ganesha story :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice verse!

    Head transplant is still a major challenge to modern medicine. I always wonder about the ancient sage, who wrote the Purana about Ganesha, and how an elephant's head was grafted on to a God-child's torso. I mainly wonder about what he was smoking at the time, since Ganja seems to be a recent favorite of the Sadhus. Perhaps, it was some divine weed...

    Well, shall we say that only Ganesha knows?

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful verse, and the pic of baby Ganesha is very beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. देवी-देवताओं के बारे में हमारी पोराणिक कहानियों में लगभग पूरी गपबाजी है,वैज्ञानिक रूप से इन पर विश्वास नहीं होता है,लेकिन अनादि काल से समाज के एक बहुत बड़े तबके को समकालीन कानूनों से ज्यादा इन आस्था व विश्वासों ने नियंत्रण में रखा.माँ के बच्चे की तरफ पीठ करके सोने की बात कहानी बनाने या डर बैठाने की चीज रही होगी; वरना जानवरों की दो अलग-अलग प्रजातियों के जींस,उत्तक या रक्त गुण कभी भी साम्य नहीं हो सकते है..
    तुम्हारी रचना अच्छी है. ग्राह्य है.सुन्दर है.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully lines, well crafted. Did not know this story about Ganesha and Shiva. Happy Ganesh Chaturthi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all for your wonderful comments and insights!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...